90% Modal 10% Spandex Knit - Made in NZ - Evergreen - WAS $11.50 Per 1/2M NOW 40% Off
This Fabric is sold in units of 50cm (.5m; ½ m). Eg. for 2.5m, enter the quantity ‘5’.
If the precise colour, weight and feel of the fabric is important for your decision, and the photos aren’t giving you enough detail, the best option to eliminate disappointment is to use the Swatch Service. Each Swatch is .50c. See under the 'About' tab for more details.
90% Modal 10% Spandex Knit - Made in NZ - Evergreen
- WAS $11.50 Per 1/2M NOW 40% Off
- 146cm Wide
This gorgeously soft 90% Modal / 10% Spandex cloth is sourced from an Australian designer who manufactures their garments locally, only ever using cloth that is made in Australia and New Zealand.
This bespoke cloth has excellent 4-way stretch and recovery. This Modal is a bit lighter than some Modal stripes from this designer, but it has more stability than a viscose/elastane knit. It has great draping qualities and feels quite dreamy against the skin. It works well with designs that have little negative ease, but best suits t-shirts, t-shirt dresses and light sweaters that ‘skim’ rather than stretching too tightly around the body. Because it has ‘hangs’ beautifully, it excels at creating drapey statement sleeves (think of the I AM Patterns’ Zebre), and would be perfect for trapeze shaped tops and dresses, and maxi skirts.
There may be slight shade differences between rolls of fabric, so ensure you purchase enough for your project. The selvages have dots of a dried, clear adhesive, used for loom and roll stability. The indicated fabric width does not include the selvage.
For your cloth edit consider: skimming tops, tunics and dresses, loose elastic waist pants, a kimono or robe (short or full length), easy elastic waist maxi skirts, and light weight sweaters.
We stock so many beautiful indie patterns that would be a perfect match with this Cotton fabric. Here are some suggestions:
- Friday Pattern Co. – Adrienne Blouse.
- I AM Patterns – Lion, Zebre, Lion, Emilien
- Papercut Patterns – Coppelia, Rise and Fall Turtlenecks, Solar Tee
- Pattern Fantastique – Aeolian Tee/Dress, Equinox Tee, Glacial Tee
This quality Modal is made from renewable beech wood pulp, the source of the luxurious soft hand of the cloth. It is cool and soft against the skin, is 50% more absorbent than cotton, and also more breathable. Modal is a perfect fabric for the Australian summer. It also resists shrinking and fading, although we still recommend pre-handwashing your cloth, and drying naturally. It also happens to be great for travelling. Hang it up when you get to your destination, or just let any creases fall out as you wear it. See the care instructions below.
This Modal knit is resilient and luxurious, but also can be delicate. It will last for a long time, and retain its colour and shape if it is looked after. Due to its spandex content it can’t be treated as freely as 100% Modal. Follow these guidelines to ensure the garment has longevity, and to avoid disappointment:
- Avoid sharp jewellery rubbing on the fabric, and avoid sharp corners and surfaces
- Turn inside-out when washing to avoid any unnecessary rubbing against the garment surface.
- Cold hand wash
- Do Not Wring
- Do Not bleach
- Dry in the shade (preferably flat). The sun damages spandex.
- Cool Iron (but preferably let any creases fall out as you wear it)
- If you must machine wash (at your own risk) use a garment bag to avoid the garment being pulled out of shade, and a short, cold, delicate cycle
- Do Not tumble dry. Dryers destroy spandex.
- If there is a lot of weight in the garment, store it folded rather than hanging it on a hanger.