100% Linen 'Checkmate' - Crossroads Black and White - Bio Wash
Fabric is sold in units of 50cm (.5m; ½ m). Eg. for 2.5m, enter the Quantity ‘5’.
If the precise colour, weight and feel of the fabric is important for your decision, the best option to eliminate disappointment is to use the Swatch Service. See under the 'About' tab and 'Cloth' tab for more details..
100% Linen ‘Checkmate’ – Crossroads Black and White Check
- 135cm wide
- French Flax Linen.
'Crossroads' is a beautiful, enzyme (or Bio Wash) check linen, which means it has that lovely washed look and feel. The design is an elevated check; something a bit different from a gingham. Checks are always 'in', and sooo wearable all through the year - for tops, shirts, dresses, skirts, shorts and pants. They look fab on their own, or with solids. Explore Pinterest for ideas of how you might use contracting prints for collars, collar bands, plackets and cuffs. This fabric behaves beautifully in a voluminous sleeve. Be sure to look at our expanding button range to finish off your shirt or shirtdress.
For your cloth edit consider: semi-fitted or looser shirts, blouses, tops and tunics; dresses (eg. wrap, fit and flare, tunic, shirt dresses); skirts (eg. wrap, midi, gathered, pleated). It would be great in pants or shorts in summer also.
We stock so many beautiful indie patterns that would be a perfect match with this fabric. Here are some suggestions:
- By Hand London – Hannah, Lizz, Sandeep, Tamzin, Anna
- Closet Core Patterns – Kalle, Cielo, Elodie, Charlie, Pauline Dress, Fiore
- Folkwear Patterns – Mexico Dress (and Top), Hapi and Haori, Walking Skirt.
- Friday Pattern Co. – Sagebrush Top, Square Neck, Top Wilder Gown, Davenport, Hughes Dress.
- Homer + Howells – Cissy, Ingrid.
- In The Folds – Collins Top
- I AM Patterns – Cassiopee, Gaia, Jain, Joy, Juliette, Lucienne, Sherazade, Cinderella, Irma, Diana
- Named Patterns – Reeta Shirt Dress, Helmi, Ninni, Inari
- Papercut Patterns – Array, Nexus, Sequence, Tide, Pinnacle, Meridian, Mirri, Maya, Tula, Ashling, Celestia, Estella.
- Pauline Alice Patterns – Coeli, Sedavi, Calvari, Cami, Lliria, Mila
- Pattern Fantastique – Vali, Calyx, Celestial, Teia Dress, Mersis
- The Assembly Line – Cap Sleeve Shirt, Cuff Top, Cuff Dress, Oversized Shirt, Minimalist Kaftan, Wide Leg Jumpsuit
We recommend a gentle machine wash or hand washing linen. It is important not to wring the fabric or garment, so if you are handwashing, roll up in a towel to press out excess water. To ensure the long life of a garment, don’t tumble dry as this breaks down the fibres. If you do tumble dry the cloth, then do so on a cooler setting. It is preferable to wash inside out. Wash colours separately. Shake out the wet garment and dry flat (or on a hanger) in the shade. Use a warm/hot iron and spot test. You may need a water spray bottle to get rid of the wrinkles when you are ironing, or just embrace the beautiful crumpled look of the cloth ;-). Linen softens upon wearing and laundering.