100% Linen - Vintage finish - Thomasina Stripe
This Fabric is sold in units of 50cm (= .5m; ½ m). For example, if you would like 2.5m, then enter the quantity ‘5’. As Cloth Edit only receives limited quantities of each fabric, err on the side of caution when ordering. Take into account any additional length etc.
Every effort has been made to present the fabric as accurately as possible. If the precise colour, weight and feel of the fabric is important for your decision, and the photos aren’t giving you enough detail, the best option to eliminate disappointment is to use the Swatch Service. Each Swatch is .50c. See under the 'About' tab for more details.
French Flax Linen.
This cloth is a yarn dyed linen, with a number of different coloured Warp threads– navy, black and taupe – forming the stripes along the grain, and a ‘chambray’ blue forming the Weft threads (the cross grain). This fabric has beautiful drape and seems to offer that solid start to a spring and summer wardrobe we are often looking for. This has a lovely soft bio-wash finish which gives you that desired vintage, worn in, soft crumpled look.
145cm wide. 195-200gsm.
For your cloth edit consider: loose tops, tunics and shirts, dresses (eg. wrap, fit and flare, kaftan, trapeze, tunic, shift, sheath, shirt dresses), loose pants/trousers/shorts, a kimono or robe (short or full length), skirts (eg. A Line, wrap, maxi, gathered, pleated, panelled with a slight flare).
Here are some indie sewing pattern suggestions:
- Papercut Patterns – Aura, Array, Juno, Mirri, Maya, Nexus, Sequence, Axis, Meridian, Pinnacle, Tula (so many options!).
- Closet Core Patterns – Kalle, Cielo, Jenny overall or trousers, Fiore, Charlie, Pietra, Sienna: basically the whole range ;-)
- Folkwear Patterns – Hapi and Haori, Gaza Dress, Japanese Field Clothing, Japanese Kimono, Old Mexico Dress
- In The Folds – Collins Top, Acton Dress, Darlow pants, Flynn jacket (everything!).
- Named Patterns – Helmi shirt or dress, Reeta Shirt Dress, Ninni pants
- I AM Patterns – Hermes, Joy, Jain, Juliette, Lucienne, Armor, Cassiopee, Gaia top
- Pauline Alice Patterns –Vera, Mila jumpsuit, Romero pants, Rosari shirt.
- Pattern Fantastique - Mersis, Calyx, Celestial, Cove, Terra.
- Friday Pattern Company - Square Neck Top, Sagebrush Top.
Linen is a natural fibre and as such cannot be ‘uniform’ in the way man-made fibres can. What used to be considered ‘irregularities’ in the cloth (such as slubs or irregular lumps and bumps), are now universally embraced as part of the aesthetic appeal of this cloth.
We recommend a gentle machine wash or hand washing. It is important not to wring the fabric or garment, so if you are handwashing, roll up in a towel to press out excess water. If you tumble dry the cloth, then do so on a cooler setting. Dryers break down the fibres. It is preferable to wash inside out. Wash colours separately. Shake out the wet garment and dry flat (or on a hanger) in the shade. Use a warm/hot iron and spot test. You may need a water spray bottle to get rid of the wrinkles when you are ironing, or just embrace the beautiful crumpled look of the cloth ;-). Linen softens upon wearing and laundering.