This is such a unique fabric. The Rayon warp threads are woven with natural and coral linen weft threads, forming a striking design that coordinates so well with a range of fabrics (eg. Takumi, Spring has Sprung, Fedora, and the new Classic Oat Stripe Seersucker). It’s a fantastic cloth for creating some interesting ensembles. It would be great for jackets, boxy or semi-fitted tops, fitted and semi-fitted dresses, skirts, trousers, shorts, or a robe. It crushes a little, but this will lessen with washing. The Natural stripes are approx. 20mm, and the Coral stipes are 10mm. The fabric is 141cm wide.
Linen is a natural fibre and as such cannot be ‘uniform’ in the way man-made fibres can. What used to be considered ‘irregularities’ in the cloth (such as slubs or irregular lumps and bumps), are now universally embraced as part of the aesthetic appeal of this cloth. Instead of tumble drying and ironing linen (beyond making the garment), try shaking out the wet garment and drying on a padded hanger, out of the sun. Linen softens with each laundering, and the crumpled look of linen is very appealing.
We stock so many beautiful indie patterns that would be a perfect match with this Linen/Rayon. Here are some suggestions:
- By Hand London – Anna Dress
- Closet Core Patterns – Blanca Flight Suit, Kalle, Cielo, Fiore, Jenny Overall and Trousers, Pietra, Sienna
- Folkwear Patterns – Mexico Dress (and Top), Hapi and Haori, Japanese Kimono, Gaza Dress.
- Friday Pattern Co. – Hughes Dress, Square Neck, Davenport
- Homer + Howells – Cissy, Ingrid.
- In The Folds – Collins Top
- I AM Patterns – Cassiopee, Hermes, Lucienne, Sherazade, Cinderella, Irma
- Named Patterns – Helmi (Tunic or Blouse), Reeta Shirt Dress
- Papercut Patterns –Tide, Pinnacle,
- Pauline Alice Patterns – Calvari, Cami Shirt Dress.
- Pattern Fantastique – Celestial, Faldo Jacket, Cove Pant, Terra Pant
- The Assembly Line – Cuff Top, High Waisted Trousers, Wide leg Jumpsuit
We recommend hand washing. It is important not to wring the fabric or garment, so roll up in a towel to press out excess water. It is preferable to wash inside out. Wash colours separately. Shake out the wet garment and dry flat (or on a hanger) in the shade. Do Not Tumble Dry. Use a warm/hot iron and spot test. You may need a water spray bottle to get rid of the wrinkles when you are ironing, or just embrace the beautiful crumpled look of the cloth ;-). Linen softens upon wearing and laundering.