90% Linen 10% Silk – Ophelia ‘Peaches and Cream’
Fabric is sold in units of 50cm (.5m; ½ m). Eg. for 2.5m, enter the Quantity ‘5’.
If the precise colour, weight and feel of the fabric is important for your decision, the Swatch Service can eliminate disappointment. Each Swatch is .50c. See under the 'About' tab for more details.
For the eagle-eyed, you will notice that this Linen | Silk is the same gorgeous floral design as the Japanese Cottons 'Ophelia Vanilla' and 'Ophelia Mint', on a new ‘peaches and cream’ background. Although it is ‘directional’ you probably wouldn’t notice if some pattern pieces were placed in different directions. You can decide that ;-). The flowers incorporate soft pinks, white, and grey taupe, while the foliage contains plummy pinks and taupes. If you look at the close up images you will also see some gorgeous little moments of yellow, green and blue. This is an effortlessly chic cloth, perfect for billowy blouses, swishy dresses, statement palazzo pants or maxi shirts. Make simple shaped tops, or enjoy the movement and drape of this beautiful fabric by playing with sleeves and some fullness at hemlines. This would coordinate so well with white, naturals, denim, and taupes, khaki and a range of pinks. As with many of the linen silks, white and tan accessories would be beautiful. You may need a lawn slip for skirts (or a similar light lining for pants), but if there is enough fullness it shouldn’t be a problem (with flesh toned underwear).
140 cm wide. 145/150gsm.
The Linen Silk blends are gaining an enthusiastic following. It is a stunning fabric, and perfect for summer - for cool and flowing dresses, skirts, wide leg trousers or tops - but also great for blouses and shirts in the cooler months. It creases a little, but not as much as a 100% linen. It irons beautifully. It is 140cm wide, reasonably light, but a bit heavier than a quality oxford cotton shirting (it’s approx. 145/150gsm). It is so soft and cool against the skin, and the drape is amazing. It’s washable by hand or (at own risk) on a very delicate, cool, machine wash cycle (in a mesh washing bag).
For your cloth edit consider: semi-fitted or looser shirts, blouses, tops and tunics; dresses (eg. wrap, fit and flare, tunic, shirt dresses), skirts (eg. wrap, midi, gathered, pleated). It would be great in pants or shorts also.
We stock so many beautiful indie patterns that would be a perfect match with this Linen/Silk. Here are some suggestions:
- Closet Core Patterns – Kalle, Cielo, Elodie, Charlie, Fiore, Pauline Dress
- Folkwear Patterns – Mexico Dress (and Top), Hapi and Haori, Japanese Kimono, Gaza Dress.
- Friday Pattern Co. – Adrianna Dress, Hughes Dress, Sagebrush Top, Square Neck, Top Wilder Gown, Davenport, Saltwater Slip Dress.
- Homer + Howells – Cissy, Ingrid.
- In The Folds – Collins Top, Acton Dress.
- I AM Patterns – Cassiopee, Gaia, Jain, Joy, Juliette, Lucienne, Sherazade, Cinderella, Irma
- Named Patterns – Helmi (Tunic or Blouse), Reeta Shirt Dress
- Papercut Patterns – Array, Nexus, Sequence, Aura, Tide, Pinnacle,
- Pauline Alice Patterns – Coeli, Vera, Sedavi, Calvari, Cami
- Pattern Fantastique – Mersis, Vali, Calyx, Celestial, Teia Dress
- The Assembly Line – Cap Sleeve Shirt, Cuff Top, Cuff Dress, Oversized Shirt
The general advice is to Dry Clean silk, BUT this is only 10% Silk and so you could certainly hand wash this fabric. If you machine wash, then use a delicate cycle, and use a gentle detergent such as a baby shampoo or specialist silk detergent as the chemicals and bleach in regular washing liquids and powders may damage the silk. Use a mesh washing bag. For hand-washing and machine washing use cool water. Hot water is harmful to the silk fibre. Do not bleach, wring, or tumble dry. Do not spot clean silk. Wash colours separately. Wash inside out and dry flat or on a soft finish hanger in shade. Use a warm iron and spot test.