97% Cotton 3% Spandex (Woven) – Villa Como
This Fabric is sold in units of 50cm (.5m; ½ m). Eg. for 2.5m, enter the quantity ‘5’.
If the precise colour, weight and feel of the fabric is important for your decision, and the photos aren’t giving you enough detail, the best option to eliminate disappointment is to use the Swatch Service. Each Swatch is .50c. See under the 'About' tab for more details.
This is one of our Italian Garden Collection prints. This is a luxurious and unique stretch cotton. The background is a dusky pink, but it includes a range of colours, with bursts of burnt orange, plum/aubergine, pale pink, and if you have a keen eye you will spy small flashes of blue. It is perfect for semi-fitted to looser pants, and A-line or fuller skirts. It would be great in a wrap top, simple tunic dress, and equally as beautiful in something with more fullness, such as a midi wrap dress. It has the added comfort of 3% elastane, which in our experiments relates to approximately 10% stretch across the grain. This makes fitting bodices that bit more forgiving. It has a very slight sheen on the right side, and it feels smooth.
For your cloth edit consider: dresses (eg. tunic, shirt dress, sheath, shift, A-Line, halter), tops (eg. semi-fitted, shell, tank, halter, wrap, shirt), A Line or fuller skirts, semi-fitted or wider leg pants.
We stock so many beautiful indie patterns that would be a perfect match with this fabric. Here are some suggestions:
- The Assembly Line – Cuff Top, Cuff Dress, Cap Sleeve Shirt, Oversized Shirt
- Closet Core Patterns – Kalle, Cielo, Elodie, Charlie, Fiona
- Folkwear Patterns – Mexico Dress (and Top), Hapi and Haori, Japanese Kimono, Tibetan Chupa, Walking Skirt.
- Friday Pattern Co. – Hughes Dress, Sagebrush Top, Square Neck, Top Wilder Gown, Davenport
- Homer + Howells – Cissy, Ingrid.
- I AM Patterns – Cassiopee, Jain, Joy, Juliette, Lucienne, Sherazade, Cinderella, Irma
- Named Patterns – Helmi (Tunic or Blouse), Reeta Shirt Dress
- Papercut Patterns – Array, Aura, Tide, Pinnacle, Guise, Meridian, Juno, Tula.
- Pauline Alice Patterns – Calvari, Cami Shirt Dress, Sedavi.
- Pattern Fantastique – Calyx, Celestial, Mersis, Vali.
- By Hand London – Hannah, Liz, Sandeep, Tamzin
Cotton is an easy care fibre as it is strong when wet, and so it can be machine washed. While 100% cotton is often tumble dried the 3% elastane in this stretch woven means that tumble drying will adversely affect the fabric. Do not tumble dry. The finished garment will look better and last longer if it is shaken out when wet, and placed on a hanger to dry. To prevent fading, wash inside out and dry in the shade. While cotton needs a hot iron, the elastane content means you will need to test the fabric, so start on a cooler setting, and iron on the wrong side. We suggest cushioning darts when ironing so the dart doesn’t show through on the right side.