93% Linen 6% Cotton 1% Poly - Japanese Shima Linen Blend – Sand
Fabric is sold in units of 50cm (.5m; ½ m). Eg. for 2.5m, enter the Quantity ‘5’.
If the precise colour, weight and feel of the fabric is important for your decision, the Swatch Service can eliminate disappointment. Each Swatch is .50c. See under the 'About' tab for more details.
Japanese Shima Linen Blend – 93% Linen 6% Cotton 1% Poly – Sand Stripe (Off White)
The Shima Collection is a wonderful blend of linen and cotton, with an amazing hand and drape. While the blue stripes in ‘Ocean’ are a little more dominate, in ‘Sand’, the Off White is more prominent. The Off White stripes are 23mm and the sand stripes are 15mm. It all makes for such a chic design. The stripes run cross-grain, but the 1% Poly is there to give stability, so feel free to cut pattern pieces on the cross grain, or (as in the By Hand London ‘Hannah’ Dress) play with the direction of your stripes. Be sure to pre-wash the fabric. This is ex-designer cloth from Japan, and quite a unique find. It is fantastic quality, and not to be repeated. This cloth is great for summer, but blouses, shirts and dresses with a sleeve are also perfect for the cooler times of the year. Stripes are great coordinated with solids, but explore some fun contrasting fabrics for your collars, collar bands, plackets and cuffs. This fabric would behave beautifully in a voluminous sleeve. Be sure to look at our expanding button range to finish off your garment.
This fabric is bit transparent in the white sections. You will be absolutely fine with tops, but ‘bottoms’ may need a lawn slip. You may not bother if there is a bit of fullness to the pants or skirt though. Select flesh toned undergarments and you might be fine.
For your cloth edit consider: semi-fitted or looser shirts, blouses, tops and tunics; dresses (eg. wrap, fit and flare, tunic, shirt dresses); skirts (eg. wrap, midi, gathered, pleated). It would be great in loose pants or shorts in summer also.
We stock so many beautiful indie patterns that would be a perfect match with this Linen/Silk. Here are some suggestions:
- Assembly Line - Cuff Top, Cuff Dress, Wide Leg Jumpsuit, Minimalist Kaftan, Puff Shirt, Cap Sleeve Top, Tie Bow Blouse, Oversized Shirt.
- Closet Core Patterns – Kalle, Cielo, Elodie, Charlie, Fiore, Pauline Dress
- Folkwear Patterns – Mexico Dress (and Top), Hapi and Haori, Japanese Kimono, Gaza Dress.
- Friday Pattern Co. – Adrianna Dress, Hughes Dress, Sagebrush Top, Square Neck Top, Wilder Gown, Davenport, Saltwater Slip Dress.
- Homer + Howells – Cissy, Ingrid.
- In The Folds – Collins Top, Acton Dress.
- I AM Patterns – Cassiopee, Gaia, Jain, Joy, Juliette, Lucienne, Sherazade, Cinderella, Irma
- Named Patterns – Helmi (Tunic or Blouse), Reeta Shirt Dress, Valo.
- Papercut Patterns – Array, Nexus, Sequence, Aura, Tide, Pinnacle,
- Pauline Alice Patterns – Coeli, Vera, Sedavi, Calvari, Cami
We recommend a gentle machine wash or hand washing linen. It is important not to wring the fabric or garment, so if you are handwashing, roll up in a towel to press out excess water. To ensure the long life of a garment, don’t tumble dry as this breaks down the fibres. If you do tumble dry the cloth, then do so on a cooler setting. It is preferable to wash inside out. Wash colours separately. Shake out the wet garment and dry flat (or on a hanger) in the shade. Use a warm/hot iron and spot test. You may need a water spray bottle to get rid of the wrinkles when you are ironing, or just embrace the beautiful crumpled look of the cloth ;-). Linen softens upon wearing and laundering.