100% Linen 'Checkmate' - The Brook - Clearance Fabric Sale 30% Off
30% Discount Applied at the Checkout
Fabric is sold in units of 50cm (.5m; ½ m). Eg. for 2.5m, enter the Quantity ‘5’.
If the precise colour, weight and feel of the fabric is important for your decision, the best option to eliminate disappointment is to use the Swatch Service. See under the 'About' tab and 'Cloth' tab for more details.
100% Linen ‘Checkmate’ – The Brook
- 140cm wide
- French Flax Linen.
The Four NEW additions to the Checkmate range are: The Country Road; The Brook; The Village; and Hinterland.
‘The Brook’ features a striking Royal Blue, and the accompanying Navy, Khaki and White make for a superb yarn dyed check, perfect for all seasons. Team with jeans in cooler months, or coordinate with fresh white and tan in summer. This is perfect for separates, but it also beckons a dress. Have fun and mix these new checks together, or have a look in your scrap box and play with contrasting fabric for collar bands, plackets and cuffs. Be sure to look at our expanding button range to finish off your garment.
This fabric is a tiny bit transparent if you put your hand underneath (in daylight/under light), but when the cloth is around your body as a garment, this always seems to decrease that perception. Select flesh toned undergarments and you will be fine. Skirts may need a light lining, but probably not if there is some volume.
For your cloth edit consider: semi-fitted or looser shirts, blouses, tops and tunics; dresses (eg. wrap, fit and flare, tunic, shirt dresses); skirts (eg. wrap, midi, gathered, pleated). It would be great in pants or shorts in summer also.
We stock so many beautiful indie patterns that would be a perfect match with this Linen. Here are some suggestions:
- By Hand London – Hannah, Lizz, Sandeep, Tamzin, Anna
- Closet Core Patterns – Kalle, Cielo, Elodie, Charlie, Pauline Dress, Fiore
- Folkwear Patterns – Mexico Dress (and Top), Hapi and Haori, Japanese Kimono, Gaza Dress, Armistice Blouse, Walking Skirt.
- Friday Pattern Co. – Sagebrush Top, Square Neck, Top Wilder Gown, Davenport, Saltwater Slip Dress, Hughes Dress.
- Homer + Howells – Cissy, Ingrid.
- In The Folds – Collins Top
- I AM Patterns – Cassiopee, Gaia, Jain, Joy, Juliette, Lucienne, Sherazade, Cinderella, Irma, Diana
- Named Patterns – Reeta Shirt Dress, Helmi, Ninni, Inari
- Papercut Patterns – Array, Nexus, Sequence, Tide, Pinnacle, Meridian, Mirri, Maya, Tula, Ashling, Celestia, Estella.
- Pauline Alice Patterns – Coeli, Sedavi, Calvari, Cami, Lliria, Mila
- Pattern Fantastique – Vali, Calyx, Celestial, Teia Dress, Mersis
- The Assembly Line – Cap Sleeve Shirt, Cuff Top, Cuff Dress, Oversized Shirt, Minimalist Kaftan, Wide Leg Jumpsuit
We recommend a gentle machine wash or hand washing linen. It is important not to wring the fabric or garment, so if you are handwashing, roll up in a towel to press out excess water. To ensure the long life of a garment, don’t tumble dry as this breaks down the fibres. If you do tumble dry the cloth, then do so on a cooler setting. It is preferable to wash inside out. Wash colours separately. Shake out the wet garment and dry flat (or on a hanger) in the shade. Use a warm/hot iron and spot test. You may need a water spray bottle to get rid of the wrinkles when you are ironing, or just embrace the beautiful crumpled look of the cloth ;-). Linen softens upon wearing and laundering.