Closet Core Patterns - Mitchell Trousers
About the Mitchell
This is fast becoming a firm favourite in the sewing community. The Mitchell pattern is inspired by a genius songwriter with timeless style, and this pattern is a modern twist on a classic pleated trouser. These trousers are comfortable, and the unique details make them very elegant.
The Mitchell Trousers are high-waisted with a fly front zipper and a comfy hidden waistband facing for a sleek continuous silhouette through the rise; choose between a hidden pants hook and bar or classic button closure. Deep pleats in the front enclose a unique angled pocket. Darts shape the back, with optional back welt pockets.
- View A features a tapered leg ending at the ankle.
- View B features a full-length wide leg and adjustable waist straps secured with D-rings or sliders.
For structured looking Mitchells select sturdy woven fabrics like light to midweight denim, twill and canvas, and midweight linen, cotton, and wool suiting.
For a softer Mitchell, select midweight fabrics with drape, such as tencel twill, wool crepe, or silk noil.
- Fusible interfacing
- 58” wide interfacing: 1/2 yd (0.45 m)
- 20” wide interfacing: 1 yd (0.9 m)
- Pocket lining: 3/4 yd (0.7 m) for 45” or 58” wide fabric
- Pants zipper
- 0-20 Size Range: sizes 0-6 = 5" long, sizes 8-16 = 6" long, sizes 18-20 = 7" long
- 14-32 Size Range: sizes 14-20 = 7" long, sizes 22-28 = 8" long, sizes 30-32 = 9" long
- Sew-in hook & bar closure for pants: 1/2" (13mm)
- Pants button to secure fly front: 5/8" (16 mm)
- Button for inside waistband: 5/8” (16 mm)
- Thread in matching colour
- Optional: Slider buckles (one pair) or D-Rings (two pairs) for adjustable waist straps, 1 1/2” (38 mm) wide
- Optional: Small buttons to secure back pocket welts, 3/8 - 1/2" (10-15 mm)
- Optional: Twill tape to reinforce front pocket openings, 1/2 yd (0.5 m)
- Optional: Double fold bias tape for finishing waistband (may be replaced with serged stitch), 2 yds (1.75 m)
This pattern is for sizes 0 - 20. See the Closet Core Patterns size charts provided for details.
Level of Difficulty
Closet Core Patterns rate the Mitchell Trousers as 'Intermediate'.