Friday Pattern Co. - Square Neck Top
About the Square Neck Top
The Square Neck Top is a slightly cropped, boxy dolman sleeved top with a square neckline. It is a great beginner sewing pattern and includes pattern pieces to make the top from a knit or woven fabric!
About the Images
- The model wearing the white top is wearing a size XXL woven version in the A/B cup size. Her measurements placed her between sizes so we sized up for a looser fit. The fabric is a knit with less than 20% stretch so we opted for the woven pattern. She is 5'5" tall.
- The model in the yellow top is wearing a size 4X knit version in the C/D cup size. Her measurements place her at exactly a 4X. She is 6' tall. The top length was not modified.
- The model in the blue top is wearing a size small woven version in the C/D cup size. Her bust measurements place her in a medium and her waist and hips are in the small range. She is 5'6" tall.
For the knit version of the Square Neck Top you will need: knit fabrics with at least 20% 4-way stretch are suitable. Cotton jersey, rib knits, lightweight French terry are a few types of fabric that would be great. Generally, sturdier knits are easier to work with and drapier, thinner knits are a little more difficult.
For the woven version of the Square Neck Top you will need: linen, cotton, rayon, and silk etc. The fabric you choose will affect how your top looks. If you choose a drapey fabric like a rayon or silk you will have more of a blouse-y look. If you choose something like linen it will have a more structured vibe.
- 1/2 yard (.5 metres) lightweight fusible interfacing.
- Matching thread
- Stretch or ballpoint needle if making the knit version
- See yardage chart in images.
Pattern includes sizes XS/0 - 7X/32 (32”/81cm -60”/152cm chest).
Level of Difficulty
The Square Neck Top is perfect for beginner sewists. There will be a few new skills, but there are few pieces, and the instructions are clear.
Friday Pattern Company is an independent sewing pattern company based out of Sacramento, CA. USA.