Hemline Dressmakers' Carbon Paper (5 pce) - 69cm x 28cm
Dressmakers' Carbon Paper, for transferring the outline of your original sewing patterns directly onto fabric OR onto other paper (like the Birch Tracing paper). NOTE - due to the size of the carbon, you will probably need to move the carbon along as you go.
- Sheet Size = 69cm x 28cm
- Number of Pieces = 5 (different colours).
- Carbon sheets are layered with tissue paper to protect the colours
Use a colour carbon sheet that will contrast with your fabric (or paper) so the outline of the pattern, and various marking are visible.
For transferring the pattern outline directly on to the fabric:
- Use a scrap to test transfer (markings are permanent)
- Place the carbon side of the sheet face down on the wrong side of the fabric, and then put your paper sewing pattern on top.
- Use a tracing wheel, such as the Serrated and Blunt Clover Tracing Wheels, and follow the outline of the pattern pieces. The Serrated wheel will leave small dots, and the blunt edge will leave bigger dashes.
- Also use the same process for transferring dart and pleat markings, pocket placement etc.
For transferring the pattern outline onto tracing paper:
While you can use carbon paper to transfer a pattern and markings straight onto fabric (using a tracing wheel), many sewists use this transfer method to copy their original indie and commercial sewing patterns. Place the carbon paper under the original pattern, carbon side facing down, and then under the carbon paper you place the tracing paper. As you apply pressure with the tracing wheel, as you go around the pattern pieces, the outline of the pattern will be transferred to the tracing paper. Don't forget all the markings such as darts, pleats, small circles, pocket placement etc.
Think of it like a sandwich -
- The original pattern on top
- Carbon paper in the middle (carbon side down - do a test)
- The Birch tracing paper on the bottom